Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Un-Freakin' American!


Last night, I settled in to watch my first complete Monday Night Football game on ESPN - still not too happy that they have the rights for the game rather than ABC; there was something special and fun about watching the nation's second-highest rated television show - more than 38 years running - on the free air waves. But then again, both ABC and ESPN are now owned by the same company... Yes, Disney. Who knew? Can you believe it?

Back to the story...
I was making some home-made spaghetti carbonara (yes, my own recipe - topped with fresh tomato... yum...) while half watching the pre-game show with NFL legend Emmit Smith and company. I was thoroughly enjoying the hype and the aroma of spices lingering in the air, in anticipation of the Ravens vs. Steelers game.
This is the closest I've been to a tailgate since I lived in San Diego a few years ago, partying with the Bolt faithful outside Qualcomm Park in Mission Valley.
After what I've been through the last few years, I was ready for this 2008 experience with my own twist on it.

I have also been looking forward to this year's football season because the last few have been exceptionally competitive AND because last year my home town, New York Giants won the Big Dance - Thank you Mr. Strahan and Mr. Manning.

Okay, so I'm so excited that the fact that the kitchen is kind of a separate, un-integrated space with no window into the living room doesn't bother me too much.
I had to turn up the set to hear the festivities over the stove fan, the tomato/basil sausage brazing and the spaghetti coming to a boil. Man! I am so thankful! God is berry-berry good to me!

And then, the moment arrived...
Hank Williams Jr. - can you get any more American? - asks the most anticipated question on Monday night television...
"Are you ready for some football?"
I can almost hear the nation's grid-iron fans screaming, "Hell Yeah!" He sang of all his rowdy friends over clips of hard-hitting football and pretty cheerleaders shaking their.... Pom-poms... God Bless America. It's impossible to stay still while that song is playing if you're a true fan.

Then, the next magic moment happened...
Duh-duh-duh-daaaaaa....
Da-da-da-da...
Duh-duh-duh-duh-daaaaaaaaaa...
Hearing the MNF fanfare is almost as good a feeling as hearing the Twentieth Century Fox fanfare before Star Wars.
Yup, that's how much I was jazzed to watch this game.

So, it began and it was a really good, brew-ha-ha. Steelers and Ravens hitting and being hit all over the field. Spaghetti twirling, slurping and bacon crunching.
Despite the excitement and offensive highlights, the game was relatively low scoring; it was a defensive match up with many warriors being carried off the field - Klingons would would have approved. The contest had to go into over time to be settled.

But somewhere in the middle of my jubilation and spaghetti fest, came a knock on the door. I was expecting it to be a neighbor with an ice chest of cold beer, chips and dip, but that seems to only happen in commercials.
An armed, rent-a-cop, officer friendly knocked on my door and politely told me someone complained that there was loud music and loud noise coming from my apartment.

?

It's Monday Night Football.
Monday Night Football!
Not Metal or Rock or Rap. None of which are... Never mind.

If you can play anything loud, you gotta amp up MNF.
Loud music? That would be Hank. Loud noises? That would be
Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu knocking people down!
Loud noises? You damn right!

Then again, I think it was the same neighbor who complained about the Democratic and Republican National Conventions being too loud too.

I can respect that. Most political events are just noise - but not this year!

Objecting to Hank Williams and Monday Night Football is just... Un-American.

What a strange city this Sacramento is...
And what a strange people that live here.
And, now, that would include me...

Joy.

No comments: