Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What? No Little Italy?


I must say, Sacramento gets curious-er and curious-er.

I was out Wandering getting things for my "guy nest" and remembered I had no espresso maker. Gotta have an espresso maker. One of those Bialetti jammies.

No, not the electric kind; the kind you spoon some 'Illy' grounds into the reusable, metal filter, add about a cup of water in the bottom, twist the top on it and put on the stove top.
Yeah. The kind that makes the espresso that will make hair sprout.

So, still being relatively new in town, and not having the gas to Wander about of late, I thought... "Little Italy." Every fairly large city I've ever been to has a Little Italy.
Not Sacramento.

The first person I asked was a clerk in a store I thought for sure would have an espresso maker. His reply was classic.
He said he had a few neighbors who were Italian.

With some of the responses I've received in this town, I'm still not sure if he was serious or not.
He then told me there was no Little Italy in Sacramento that he knew of. He referred me to his co-worker who said something to the effect that Sacramento wasn't big enough to have one, like L.A. or San Fran or New York.

Or maybe... If there aren't enough Italians in a city to make a community, maybe they're not interested in being there. Italians are sophisticated, erudite.

I wonder why they wouldn't want to settle en mass in such a diverse city as Sacra-frackin'-mento?

It's hard for me to trust a city that doesn't have a Little Italy.
I know Christopher Columbus didn't discover America, and spaghetti ain't Italian, but humor me.

No comments: