Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Vets On Streets, Homeless On Base

?

I wasn't sure exactly what I was seeing.
Across from the Veteran's Hospital in Rancho Cordova, a Sacramento suburb, I saw what I thought were military barracks just past an F-104 fighter jet display, and they were occupied. At first I thought it was the residential side of an active military base - tall gates separated the housing from the streets, the grass was green and well manicured, the two-story buildings were graffiti free and immaculately clean. Every so often, I saw a few men in digital khaki DBUs (Battle Dress Uniforms) drive by. But, I guess they were Army reservists heading for their drill commands on Mather Field.

I thought about barracks living and how much I disliked it. I couldn't wait to live out on the economy.
I asked a federal employee what base housing that was across the street; they told me it was housed by former homeless families or former drug addicts who are getting their lives together. Apparently, the state has made some sort of agreement with or bought the dwellings from the Federal government.

Hmmm.

"Well, that sucks for us Veterans," I thought.
With all the Veterans on the street or living in open-bay shelters who have no housing available to them, these homeless families are living in what were military barracks?

Something seems just plain wrong about that to me.

Is that another slap in the face of our Nation's Veterans?
Or are the policy makers saying Vets are on the streets because they want to be?
It seems like what's being said is, 'You were a Vet and we appreciate you, but you're a civilian now, get in line?' Is this how a grateful Nation shows its appreciation?

Why are there no housing facilities afforded to Vets who are doing the best they can to get on their feet? Is this societies best social service a homeless shelter? While homeless people are living in military barracks?

Not to say homeless folks shouldn't be housed there, it's just that Vets should be taken care of too, if not first.

What happened?

No comments: