Saturday, June 28, 2008

East Coast vs. West Coast

This could easily have been titled common courtesy vs.lack thereof.

I saw a Jack in da Box commercial this morning and in it a large, sweaty man - apparently in the middle of an exercise routine - runs into a 'Box' and places an order. While doing so he begins stretching in front of a curly haired, seated man in unflattering ways. First his butt is a little too close to the man's face, then his crotch, then his butt again. Then Jack says something Californian like, 'Don't you wish you could just use the drive through?'

Drive through my ass.

If he tried some nonsense like that in New York or Boston or just about any east coast city, that unfortunate man would have a foot drive through his ass after getting it chewed and then his angus whupped.

In my travels, that commercial wreaks of social commentary. Where else would something like that work? Spain? Where machismo will make men run with 600 pound bulls? I don't think so. Italy? Where the mafia was born? I don't think so. Brooklyn? Fughedaboudit! Those folks will tell you with a quickness, 'You wanna get your ass out of my face!?!' And you stand a good chance of getting a beat down just on principal of lack of social, environmental awareness.

Fights in California seem to only originate over turf disputes or when opposing teams dare wear their colors in the other's turf. Hmmmm. A picture is forming here.
Ah, but in California... Hmmm.

Personal affronts without alcohol involved don't seem to cause a stir. It almost seems like a pack animal or pack predator that doesn't want to engage in a tangle for fear of injury and predation against it.

This 'Box' commercial would only work in California. Just the thought of such an affront makes me want to jump through the screen and accost that jerk, not buy what old round head is selling. It'd smell like butt to me.

The more I stay here, the more a socially bizarre place this appears top be.
There's a ghost mining town up the I 5 or 99 somewhere and somebody is trying to sell tickets to see it. Hellooooo... It's a ghost town. Abandoned buildings, boarded up mine shafts. Reminds me of the South Bronx back in the gang days.

But in California, an abandoned wooden tenement is a tourist attraction. Unless I see some ghosts, I ain't-a-goin'! Maybe if they built with brick instead of wood, there'd be some historic value to it, but from what I've seen out here, folks would build a 'ghost town' throw dirt and dust on it - like a Hollywood set - and sell tickets. Hell, I think I can get someone to sell me snake oil without looking too far or trying too hard.

Jack, a butt or a crotch in someone's face is not appetizing.

No comments: