Monday, June 16, 2008

Tiger say: Who's Your Daddy?

I just finished watching Tiger Woods win his third U.S. Open (at Torrey Pines down in my old home away from home, San Diego - when I should have been doing my Master's homework. I can't believe I'm 'diming' on myself. But I needed a break!)

After a miraculous birdie Sunday, Tiger, slightly hobbled by a painful left knee that he had his third surgery on, forced another 18 hole round with Rocco Mediate today. The battle is sure to be a remembered as one of golf's greatest and sure to be replayed for years to come.

They exchanged leads and near midway through, Tiger was up three shots, but lost the lead and went down one shot going into the 18th hole again. At the 18th hole the tension was high. Was this to be the defeat of the world's best golfer? C'mon...

Again, Tiger birdied to win the round. What was next was sudden death.

Long story short: Tiger drove a tee shot onto the fairway, Rocco hit a sand trap, Tiger's two-shot reached the green...

Tiger won.
He kissed his nearly one-year old daughter, his lovely wife and then the trophy. This was his first PGA tour championship win as a father coming just a day after father's day. The last time he won the Open was in 2002 just after Father's Day when his father was around to share it with him.

Tiger, a Californian, said that of his 14 victories, this one was the sweetest.

Grrrrrr, baby. Very Grrrrrrr...

No comments: