Monday, June 30, 2008

Thank You Q!

I can't remember the last time I've had fast food.
If I do break down and patronize one or another while Wandering, I can assure you it won't cost more than $1 dollar - about all any of them are worth. A 'fast' meal can cost as much as a table cloth restaurant's offering and it's processed crap!
On the flip, I haven't had 'healthy' fast food in some time either, but for different reasons.

Let's face it; there's a lot of hooey going around in the food business and the weight loss business. And with one restaurant in particular, I have a special pet peeve. When the chance to buy a sandwich that now skinny guy who was a fat guy hawks presents itself, I rarely buy into their product without a two-fer deal or something. I'm a big guy and those sammies rarely ever hit the spot. I know why their spokesman got skinny; there ain't no meat in those sandwiches. They have more veggies between their buns than anything else. And they have the nerve to charge damn near $8 bucks for it! I got to a point that I got an angry twitch every time I passed one of those stores.
In fairness, it's not all about the franchise, it is partly home sickness. Growing up in Brooklyn, subways were not only the best way to get around town, they were also a pretty decent sandwich shop.

Come to think of it, with all the delis and neighborhood Italian restaurants, there was little need to go to a knock-off sandwich shop when I could go to an authentic one like Katz Deli on Houston St. Mmmm, I can smell the pastrami and knishes now. Imaging a square sliced bread sandwich so big that only one half of the diagonally cut sandwich would fill you up. And the meat was always deli fresh - not frozen.

These franchise sandwich shops even sport NYC subway system maps on their walls, which was inviting, initially, to a NY transplant, but then when they put three slices of triangular cheese, not even three full slices, and little more meat, I'd look at them with rising anger and eventually ask, is that all the meat you're going to put on that? There were several times when, after they prepared it while ignoring my protests, I just walked out.

Then, enter the 'Q.' Tasty. Yeah. I had one of their sandwiches and another a separate time to make sure it wasn't a flirting fluke. Their sammies are ok, but they're a far cry from NY deli sammies.
Quiiznos posed the question, if you're going to eat $5 dollars... Blah-blah, something, something...
Then subway countered with $5 dollar foot longs. About damn time.
Now there's at least more food on those otherwise thin vegetable sandwiches. And now, bowing to pressure and I'm sure, decreasing sales, the $5 dollar sammy is part of their permanent menu. Aint' that nice.

I wonder if they're going to give rebates to all the people who paid all that money for vegetable sammies. What a rip!

If I get hungry and come across one of those franchises while Wandering about, I'll tip my hat to the 'Q' for pressuring the other guys into doing the right thing, and continue to pass by the sub.

In the meantime, if I really want to lose weight, I'll just walk and fast while I keep on searching for a deli.
I got your chipotle right here!

No comments: